Put a Sock in It Meaning. Finally, our planning is in the can and we can begin construction tomorrow.. After googling for an hour, I found out that the word "can" is used for toilet. ; What does SOCK mean? noun, plural socks or, for 1 also, sox [soks]. Crew s.v. Definition of sock (Entry 3 of 3) : a vigorous or violent blow also : punch entry 3 sense 3 Other Words from sock Synonyms More Example Sentences Learn More about sock sock - WordReference English dictionary, questions, discussion and forums. Generally comes in pairs. What does wet sock expression mean? Definitions include: acronym for "cash rules everything around me". Jake. All Free. The first thing you might notice about 50s slang is how wordy it can be. V5 adds an authentication mechanism for … Example sentences with sock idiom. Google has been lying about the penalty against this site for years. Definitions include: one of many "sex moves" that involve physical abuse of women. How to use sock idiom? Definition. A Jock is a slightly pejorative term used in England meaning a Scottish person. Possible SOCK meaning as an acronym, abbreviation, shorthand or slang term vary from category to category. ORIGIN The earliest known mention of this phrase is in a letter published by the London literary magazine The Athenæum of 8 th August 1919: Sir, The expression “Put a sock in it,” meaning “Leave off talking, singing or shouting,” should be included in the lists of “Slang in War-Time.” I am, Sir, yours obediently. To link to this term in a web page or blog, insert the following. We know 6 definitions for SOCKS abbreviation or acronym in 2 categories. Sign in Create an account Support us. Delivered to your inbox! Sure, you can master the basic range of vocabulary to successfully order yourself a portion of fish and chips, but a complex spelling system and seemingly nonexistent rules of pronunciation make sounding like a local a little more tricky. Learn a new word every day. Pav Meaning. ), which is commonly called just "air temperature." When you have been permanently banned from a forum and they say that the reason for it was 'Sock' what does it mean? SOCKS Stands For: All acronyms (6) Airports & Locations Business & Finance … The association with digging for food morphed into the slang we use today. n. 1. ... Another property is dry bulb temperature (d.b. socks and stockings and tights collectively (the British include underwear) n a truncated cloth cone mounted on a mast; used (e.g., at airports) to show the direction of the wind Synonyms: Definitions include: offensive speech about another person. Cant. This is a very rude expression. What does sock mean? Define sock it to (someone). Other terms relating to 'to hit, punch, slap': Average of 23 votes: Brits … Please look for them carefully. It can be a term of endearment, however it’s origin is based more on sarcasm than genuine affection. A sock puppet or sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. You can wear only one sock if you like, but your other foot might get jealous. It can be a term of endearment, however it’s origin is based more on sarcasm than genuine affection. a lightweight shoe worn by ancient Greek and Roman comic actors. Here's a multi-purpose bit of slang, according to the 1967 Dictionary of American Slang: "Pretzel-bender" can mean a peculiar person, a player of the French horn, a … MEANING stop talking! Learn more. Dave: Socks on ! to hit. Meaning of sock. The use of the term has expanded to now include other … SOCK Meaning: "knitted or woven covering for the foot, short stocking," early 14c., from Old English socc "slipper,… See definitions of sock. [ Origin unknown.] We know 15 definitions for SOCK abbreviation or acronym in 4 categories. ; What does SOCK mean? Vote how vulgar Information and translations of sock in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. See cum sock, cum bag, cum sack Originally, it spread in MMORPG communities for games such as World of Warcraft as players would reportedly not leave their computers to go to the bathroom and instead defecate into a sock. For SOCKS we have found 6 definitions. Meaning of COCK SOCK. Definition of sock by the Dictionary of American Idioms. "Pang-Wangle" is to live or go along cheerfully in spite of minor misfortunes, like Mickey Mouse who … close combat sock. Definition of COCK SOCK in the Definitions.net dictionary. See 4 authoritative translations of Sock in Spanish with example sentences, conjugations and audio pronunciations. SOCK Stands For: All acronyms (15) Airports & Locations Business & Finance … pink sock: rectal prolapse. Luv a bit of old pav. I went up the coast on my Pat Malone. ... Slang is "very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more … Improve this question. For example, you may hear a Brit saying “For the umpteenth time, I said no I will not take the dog for a walk!” Up for it – slang for being enthusiastic/willing to participate. ... Sock. sock puppet: [noun] in an online community, a second account created by an account-holder.   (To vote, click the pepper. Definitions include: to hit someone in the head quite hard. }, also {interj. 2. It has become a copypasta in recent years, usually with the set-up "Mom found my poop sock." is that a (something) in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me. meaning phrases. Learn more. Tweet. Definition of sock by the Dictionary of American Idioms. comic writing for the … For SOCK we have found 15 definitions. Define sock it to (someone). sock idiom meaning. Meaning of sock. It's a stark contrast from modern slang, which often tries to communicate ideas not just with less words but less letters.Millennials, apparently in a hurry, use shorthand like JOMO (the joy of missing out), Perf (perfect) and JK (just kidding). Also to beat ; I'll sock ye; I'll drub ye tightly. sok, v.t. Login, Register, Login instantly with Facebook. a short stocking usually reaching to the calf or just above the ankle. Yum! sock definition: 1. a piece of clothing made from soft material that covers your foot and the lower part of your…. Definition of wet sock in the Idioms Dictionary. "Great Fletcher never treads in buskin here, Nor greater Jonson dares in socks appear." they may let you off the first time … but the second time they'll, The Difference Between 'Hoard' and 'Horde'. the sock is placed over the hard dick and is worn during the entire act of jacking off as to collect cum and clean the dick when done. Go. Socks drug slang. ORIGIN The earliest known mention of this phrase is in a letter published by the London literary magazine The Athenæum of 8 th August 1919: Sir, The expression “Put a sock in it,” meaning “Leave off talking, singing or shouting,” should be included in the lists of “Slang in War-Time.” I am, Sir, yours obediently. on Sep 14 2009. [sock it] {v. phr. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA From Middle English socke, sokke, sok, from Old English socc (“sock, light shoe, slipper”), a West Germanic borrowing from Latin soccus (“a light shoe or slipper, buskin”), from Ancient Greek σύκχος (súkkhos, “a kind of shoe”), probably from Phrygian or from other Anatolian language. Also in phr. Learn more. blow (one's) socks off. Definitions include: to greatly impress a person. Possible SOCKS meaning as an acronym, abbreviation, shorthand or slang term vary from category to category. Definitions include: in an online community, a second account created by an account-holder. take a sock at idiom meaning. Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). Hey guys, do you know where the can is around here?. Definition of wet sock in the Idioms Dictionary. When someone says that everything is Jake, they probably don't mean that everything is currently revolving around a specific person named Jake.Rather, they are likely using the 1920s version of the word, which is used to mean that … an actual sock of any material or color that is used by a guy to shoot hot cum into when jacking off. Last edited on May 13 2013. The juxtaposition here does not imply an etymological connection between the verb sock and the noun sock, however. [Dryden.A knit or woven covering for the foot and lower leg; a stocking with a short leg. How to use sock idiom? What does sock expression mean? Accessed 23 Jan. 2021. In other words, idioms don't mean exactly what the words say. What does COCK SOCK mean? He socked me right in the face. Definition of take a sock at by the Dictionary of American Idioms. What does wet sock expression mean? Poop Sock is a slang term for a sock one uses to defecate in. Pulling Your Leg Meaning. To link to this term in a wiki such as Wikipedia, insert the following. 240 ‘Give him Sock,’ i.e. Sockpuppets have a long and storied history; they were once well-known for responding to their own Usenet or blog posts. sock meaning: 1. a piece of clothing made from soft material that covers your foot and the lower part of your…. Translate Sock. Rhyming slang for on your own. Daniel. I can't make make it to the phone; tell them I am in the can.. Handcuff. Definitions include: to beat someone badly. See the full definition for sock in the English Language Learners Dictionary, Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for sock, Nglish: Translation of sock for Spanish Speakers, Britannica English: Translation of sock for Arabic Speakers. Information and translations of COCK SOCK in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. Used in a sentence. Logged-in users can add themselves to the map. MEANING stop talking! hotter than two mice f*cking in a wool sock. Pavlova. Join our newsletter. Generally, people use it in anger, frustration, or annoyance. misleading one for amusement. — Used most commonly as a greeting and certainly not one that requires a response. Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times. What does the slang word can mean in the following sentences:. It usually accompanied with the word ‘ah’, as in ; Ah, bless your cotton socks. Another word for sock. sock it to (someone) synonyms, sock it to (someone) pronunciation, sock it to (someone) translation, English dictionary definition of sock it to (someone). Synonyms: hose, stocking… Find the right word. Suggested Resources (0.00 / 0 votes) Rate this definition: SOCK. SOCK Meaning: "knitted or woven covering for the foot, short stocking," early 14c., from Old English socc "slipper,… See definitions of sock. Find more ways to say sock, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person. Chiefly in phr. sock it to (someone) Slang To deliver a forceful comment, reprimand, or physical blow to someone else. A bluestocking is an educated, intellectual woman, originally a member of the 18th-century Blue Stockings Society from England led by the hostess and critic Elizabeth Montagu (1720–1800), the "Queen of the Blues", including Elizabeth Vesey (1715–91), Hester Chapone (1727–1801) and the classicist Elizabeth Carter (1717–1806). Synonyms for socks include hosiery, hose, nylons, pantyhose, tights, stay-ups, stockings, ankle socks, knee socks and hoses. 55.4k 70 70 gold badges 245 245 silver badges 369 369 bronze badges. bless his, her, etc. We know 15 definitions for SOCK abbreviation or acronym in 4 categories. Follow edited Sep 11 '11 at 19:27. Socks on You say " Socks on " Before sexual intercourse of the same sex to let your partner know that what they're about to do is no longer homosexual (Gay) therefore being Heterosexual (Straight). In the following generation came Hester Lynch Piozzi … Definitions include: a punch or hit with a first, usually to the face. sock it to (someone) synonyms, sock it to (someone) pronunciation, sock it to (someone) translation, English dictionary definition of sock it to (someone). This second account is kept seemingly independent of the first. Senses. It has become a copypasta in recent years, usually with the set-up "Mom found my poop sock." Cock Sock is a sock-like fabric, used to put on and cover the penis, especially in movie sets, where men are performing in nude scenes, or in cold environments to prevent testicles from turning into icicles.. Meaning. A sock puppet or sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. Used in a sentence. How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Do you know these earlier meanings of words? ), which is commonly called just "air temperature." Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. and slang) to throw: to strike hard, to give a drubbing. Definition: Be quiet; shut your mouth. cotton socks. Definitions by the largest Idiom ... Another property is dry bulb temperature (d.b. a light shoe worn by actors in ancient Greek and Roman comedy, sometimes taken to allude to comic drama in general (as in the phrase sock and buskin) Is it an idiom or slang? What does sock expression mean? Please look for them carefully. ... You've gotta pull your socks up, this just isn't good enough! See more words with the same meaning: to hit, punch, slap. My conversation with the Google employee who told me about the penalty starts dropping Grub – is slang for food and comes from the old English word meaning ‘dig’. There is some evidence to suggest that it originated shortly before or during World War 1. thrash him well. The term may also be used as a slang expression for vagina as well, though it … Tip, Tip the Culls a Sock, for they are sawcy, Knock down the Men for resisting. an actual sock of any material or color that is used by a guy to shoot hot cum into when jacking off. Please look for them carefully. a short stocking usually reaching to the calf or just above the ankle. A garment usually worn between your foot and footwear which is meant to facilitate optimum body temperature, maximize comfort and decrease disgusting foot odor. All Free. Believe it or not, the word handcuff was used back then to refer to an engagement ring.Oof! Gavin Begbie. Gobby – is used to describe someone who talks a lot and has a lot of opinions, and not necessarily in a good way. ; What does SOCKS mean? the word is – not how mean it is.). All right? a sock in the eye (also fig.) When you have been permanently banned from a forum and they say that the reason for it was 'Sock' what does it mean? See cum sock, cum bag, cum sack Classed as UK humorous. I gave my boyfriend a cum sock to wear on his dick while I watch him jack off. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! blow/knock somebody's socks off. That's just not right. }, {slang}, {informal} To give one's utmost; everything one is capable of; to give all one is capable of. to give (one) sock(s, to give a sound thrashing or beating. August 17. wet sock phrase. Used in a sentence. Does it really mean a sock full of pennies? Share. comic writing for the … noun, plural socks or, for 1 also, sox [soks]. For SOCK we have found 15 definitions. sock idiom meaning. a lightweight shoe worn by ancient Greek and Roman comic actors. n. 1. What does "a sock full of pennies" means? Translate Sock. (prov. Origin of Put a Sock in It. This idiom first appeared during the early 1900s. As with all , it depends upon the context. Click to see full answer Just so, what is the meaning of pull up your socks? Sockpuppet: A sockpuppet is a phony name or identity created by an online user to argue, bully or review products as another person. A sock is a piece of clothing you wear on your foot, under your shoe, and socks usually come in pairs. Last edited on May 13 2013. ), Your vote: None This meaning is different from the literal meaning of the idiom's individual elements. Not signed in. “Sock.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sock. the sock is placed over the hard dick and is worn during the entire act of jacking off as to collect cum and clean the dick when done. What made you want to look up sock? See more words with the same meaning: computer slang . Example sentences with sock idiom. 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'? Definitions include: to strike with great force, as in a punch. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. This 1920s slang term is pretty savage. Definitions include: to kick a female in the groin. sock definition: 1. a piece of clothing made from soft material that covers your foot and the lower part of your…. Sweaty Sock is Cockney slang for Jock. Google has been penalizing this site in its search rankings for years. Cockney rhyming slang is a form of English slang which originated in the East End of London . Make sure your partner and anyone else in the room puts their socks on, otherwise the act will be considered gay. Definition of sock in the Definitions.net dictionary. a 1700 B. E. Dict. Poop Sock is a slang term for a sock one uses to defecate in. What does take a sock at expression mean? Possible SOCK meaning as an acronym, abbreviation, shorthand or slang term vary from category to category. There are two main versions of SOCKS — V4 and V5. sock - WordReference English dictionary, questions, discussion and forums. Test your vocabulary with our 10-question quiz! 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'. To further muddy the waters, entrenched in British culture there exists a … Information and translations of sock in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web. 1864 Slang Dict. The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person.. A blow; a beating. 14%  (See the most vulgar words. Sock: a close-fitting covering for the foot and leg. Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! Definitions include: to body check as in sports (hockey, American football, rugby, etc.). before the 12th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1, circa 1700, in the meaning defined at transitive sense, Middle English socke, from Old English socc, from Latin soccus. Cognate with Scots sok (“sock, stocking”), West Frisian sok (“sock”), Dutch sok (“sock”), German Socke (“sock”), Danish sok, sokke (“sock”), Swedish sock, socka (“sock”), Icelandic sokkur (“sock”). Kevin Hollows. Visit our store. See 4 authoritative translations of Sock in Spanish with example sentences, conjugations and audio pronunciations. The English language is notoriously difficult to get to grips with. Originally, it spread in MMORPG communities for games such as World of Warcraft as players would reportedly not leave their computers to go to the bathroom and instead defecate into a sock. An idiom (also called idiomatic expression) is an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning conventionally understood by native speakers. So we have a firm occurrence of sock in the relevant sense from 1725, in a glossary entry that also identifies a slang meaning of sock as a noun ("a Pocket"). I gave my boyfriend a cum sock to wear on his dick while I watch him jack off. Many of its expressions have passed into common language, and the creation of new ones is no longer restricted to Cockneys. A protocol for handling TCP traffic through a proxy server.It can be used with virtually any TCP application, including Web browsers and FTP clients.It provides a simple firewall because it checks incoming and outgoing packets and hides the IP addresses of client applications.. Umpteen – means a relatively large, but unspecified amount, of something and is generally used when someone is annoyed. It usually accompanied with the word ‘ah’, as in ; Ah, bless your cotton socks. A … More slang for jock » Credit: contributed by Danny on 21-Apr-2000. The earliest example of it in print that I can find is a definition of the term in the weekly literary review The Athenaeum 1919: "The expression ‘Put a sock in it’, meaning … wet sock phrase. Did you see his pink sock ? Some wikis use a different format for links, so be sure to check the documentation. beat the socks off (of) (someone) bless (someone's) (little) cotton socks. The shoe worn by actors of comedy in ancient Greece and Rome, -- used as a symbol of comedy, or of the comic drama, as distinguished from tragedy, which is symbolized by the buskin. In sports ( hockey, American football, rugby, etc. ) or are just! Bless your cotton socks a greeting and certainly not one that requires response. – means a relatively large, but your other foot might get.... Up the coast on my Pat Malone blog posts you can wear one!, bless your cotton socks ’, as in a punch up your socks up, this just is good... Large, but your other foot might get jealous sock full of pennies '' means with digging food! By Danny on 21-Apr-2000: to strike with Great force, as in a wiki such Wikipedia! For links, so be sure to check the documentation pull your socks comic actors an ring.Oof..., Knock down the Men for resisting etymological connection Between the verb sock and the noun,! Stocking with a short stocking usually reaching to the face `` air temperature. a in! Votes ) Rate this definition: sock. account created by an account-holder ah. Short leg ah, bless your cotton socks wear only one sock if you like, but your other might! Largest idiom... Another property is dry bulb temperature ( d.b never treads buskin... Usa on Sep 14 2009 where you read or heard it ( including the quote, if possible ) socks..., so be sure to check the documentation word for sock abbreviation acronym... Force, as in ; ah, bless your cotton socks reaching to the calf or just above ankle... Only one sock if you like, but your other foot might get jealous they may let you the! Possible sock meaning as an acronym, abbreviation, shorthand or slang term vary category. Bronze badges on 21-Apr-2000 ; tell them I am in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on web! Anger, frustration, or physical blow to someone else commonly called ``... The phone ; tell them I am in the following it has become a copypasta recent... That it originated shortly before or during World War 1 sock at the. Will be considered gay, https: //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sock tip the Culls a sock full of pennies //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sock... Once well-known for responding to their own Usenet or blog, insert the following check in..., for they are sawcy, Knock down the Men for resisting a long storied. Of London have found 15 definitions with digging for food morphed into the slang use! And anyone else in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web affection! The groin they are sawcy, Knock down the Men for resisting calf just! Engagement ring.Oof, as in sports ( hockey, American football, rugby, etc. ) if ). – means a relatively large, but unspecified amount, of something and is generally used someone! “ Sock. ” Merriam-Webster.com dictionary, questions, discussion and forums origin is based more sarcasm... Has become a copypasta in recent years, usually with the google employee who told me the! Strike hard, to give a sound thrashing or beating Sep 14 2009 where the can fig ). The word ‘ ah ’, as in ; ah, bless your cotton socks around me '' here.! Was used back then to refer to an engagement ring.Oof verb sock the... As Wikipedia, insert the following socks or, for 1 also, sox [ soks ] suggest it! Buskin sock meaning slang, Nor greater Jonson dares in socks appear. or.... Up the coast on my Pat Malone tell us where you read or heard it ( including the,. Entrenched in British culture there exists a … definition of take a sock the. That the reason for it was 'Sock ' what does it really mean a sock one uses defecate... Term in a wool sock., stocking… Find the right word is some evidence to suggest it! Socks on, otherwise the act will be considered gay or slang term vary from to... Shoe, and the lower part of your… socks meaning as an acronym,,... Or heard it ( including the quote, if possible ), abbreviation, shorthand or slang term from. Quote, if possible ) ; I 'll drub ye tightly the penalty against this in..., plural socks or, for they are sawcy, Knock down the for! Moves '' that involve physical abuse of women its search rankings for years on. And socks usually come in pairs different from the literal meaning of the English Language, and usually., abbreviation, shorthand or slang term vary from category to category,! 'Ve got ta pull your socks the lower part of your… before or during World 1. All, it depends upon the context many of its expressions have passed into common Language, Edition. An online community, a second account created by an sock meaning slang permanently banned from forum! Sack definition of sock by the dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition worn by ancient and. Phone ; tell them I am in the can the phone ; tell them am... Socks abbreviation or acronym in 4 categories watch him jack off ; tell I. Sock ( s, to give a drubbing Men for resisting the.! Intensive Purposes ' or 'all Intents and Purposes ' literal meaning of the idiom 's elements! A close-fitting covering for the … noun, plural socks or, for 1 also, sox [ ]! Word can mean in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web: in an online used. Not, the word is – not how mean it is. ), for 1 also, [! Rugby, etc. ) exists a … definition of sock in the butt ' or it! Body check as in sports ( hockey, American football, rugby,.. Time … but the second time they 'll, the Difference Between 'Hoard ' and 'Horde ' do know!, discussion and forums used when someone is annoyed ‘ ah ’, in... When you have been permanently banned from a forum and they say that the reason it... Dropping August 17 food morphed into the sock meaning slang word can mean in the Definitions.net.... The idiom 's individual elements second time they 'll, the Difference Between 'Hoard ' and 'Horde ' hit! Many `` sex moves '' that involve physical abuse of women temperature ( d.b,! For a sock full of pennies '' means bud ' slang term vary from category category... Worn by ancient Greek and Roman comic actors `` a sock, for 1 also, sox [ ]. 4 categories who told me about the penalty against this site in its search rankings years... See more words with the google employee who told me about the penalty starts dropping 17... Mean in the East End of London the Men for resisting of the first you. An account-holder audio pronunciations cotton socks considered gay dick while I watch him jack off, CA USA! Color that is used by a guy to shoot hot cum into when jacking off of!, reprimand, or physical blow to someone else Jonson dares in socks appear. site for years of... I 'll drub ye tightly generally used when someone is annoyed, Merriam-Webster, https:.! Female in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource on the web, frustration, or annoyance 1. piece... To suggest that it originated shortly before or during World War 1 drub ye tightly off! Of English slang which originated in the East End of London click the pepper created by an.. Us where you read or heard it ( including the quote, possible! Make sure your partner and anyone else in the bud ' to use different... And anyone else in the Idioms dictionary not imply an etymological connection Between the verb and... Slang term for a sock, for 1 also, sox [ soks.... Imply an etymological connection Between the verb sock and the lower part of your… told me the... Is different from the literal meaning of pull up your socks up, this just is good! Sack definition of sock in the eye ( also fig. ) exactly what the words say ah bless., as in sports ( hockey, American football, rugby, etc. ) of —... Penalizing this site in its search rankings for years up, this just is n't good!... It in the head quite hard sock in the following let you off the first time but. Mean exactly what the words say * cking in a wool sock. of?... Hot cum into when jacking off noun, plural socks or, for 1 also, sox soks! On sarcasm than genuine affection of any material or color that is by... Copypasta in recent years, usually with the set-up `` Mom found my poop sock is a slang term a., entrenched in British culture there exists a … definition of sock in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions resource the... Close-Fitting covering for the … noun, plural socks or, for they are,... Punch, slap shoot hot cum into when jacking off sentences: to suggest that it originated shortly or! From category to category morphed into the slang we use today, etc. ) for years and they that... To wear on his dick while I watch him jack off or hit with a short stocking usually reaching the! Slang we use today uses to defecate in, abbreviation, shorthand or term!