Viewing 2012 School Board General Election Virginia Beach City - Centerville. And students are allowed to break the rules without disciplinary action, which is teaching them that there are no consequences. 2. Sign up below to register your support and join the party. I'm proud to serve Virginia Beach's students, parents, teachers, and residents on the Virginia Beach School Board. I am not beholden to anyone. As part of that policy, a third-party assessment of educational equities will be conducted to determine equities or inequities within the school division. We need to follow these words: firm, fair, and consistent. Virginia Beach School Board Candidates 2020. What is the most important issue facing the city schools, and how will you address it in office? Required fields are marked *. Even the head of the CDC has addressed the mental health toll that this pandemic is having on our children. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC. Learning from home not only diminishes education, but the rise in mental health and domestic issues is troubling. Political Candidate. All candidates for Virginia Beach City Council and the Virginia Beach School Board are invited and encouraged to complete a questionnaire and be interviewed to be considered for endorsement by the Virginia Beach Education Association Political Action Committee of Educators (VBEA PACE). Norfolk (regional) Sports Club, VB Rotary Club and as a board member of College Access Foundation, Mt. The Editorial Board's picks in Tuesday's elections in Virginia. Viewing 2018 School Board General Election Virginia Beach City - At Large. Trenace Riggs is running for re-election to the Virginia Beach School Board. Each goal has well-defined strategies and includes an equity emphasis. State Senate: Virginia Beach is represented by 3 state Senators in Senate Districts 7, 8 … Children and teachers need consistency to be efficient, effective and successful. Endorsements: Vicky Manning, Carolyn Weems and Jessica Abbott, Social media: Jen Franklin for School Board on Facebook. Riggs Says … 2. With fewer students, there should be enough space to accommodate social distancing. Many people on election day do not understand that they can vote for all districts no matter where they live in Virginia Beach. Do you believe there are racial inequities in Virginia Beach schools? When the economy recovers from the current pandemic, we should make salary increases a priority. Answers to our questions in … • Second, address pending teacher shortage driven by demographic factors and compounded significantly by Covid-19. However, none of this can be done without our teachers and staff on board. I am excited to share that I am officially a candidate for re-election to the Board. 3. I will work with my colleagues, city council and our leaders in Richmond to continue to address our challenges in providing competitive pay and benefits for our teachers and all school employees reflective of their dedication to the school division and to aid in our ability to attract and retain the most qualified individuals who will support student success. I believe there are inequities related to socioeconomic and special education gaps that need to be addressed. The print edition containing our full voter guide is now on stands. All eleven members of the School Board are elected in accordance with the Charter of the City of Virginia Beach and serve four year terms. I agree with the current plan as it phases in students for face-to-face instruction with caution. Members are paid $12,000/year. The Virginia Beach School Board will begin taking applications on Aprill 22. The closer Virginia Beach got to a COVID status that would reopen schools, the further reopening was pushed back. I think Virginia Beach Public Schools are the best in the country! Reopening schools for in-person instruction amid the pandemic has been a hot-button issue. Twelve of Virginia's 190 towns had town council elections in 2019. Riggs Says No to New Programs without Teacher Raises. They are under the state’s average salary. City School Board. 3. Trenace Riggs Asks Board to Ask Public Again on School Start Times . 3. Previous office held (if any): School board member since 2013, including two years as vice chair and three years as chair, Education: Bachelor’s in Elementary and Early Childhood Education, Concord University. Riggs Says No to New Programs without Teacher Raises. She never takes that for granted and will work hard to earn the privilege to be on the School Board. Parents, students and teachers did not always see things the same way. The schools need more time to adjust to loss of staff. Donald Trump (R) received 44.4 percent. Sometimes failure is what one needs in order to succeed. Elections: Nov 2nd Day(s): Hour(s): ... Search for: Virginia Beach Representation. It is critical that the board prioritizes teacher pay increases and creates an atmosphere where teachers and staff feel heard and involved in the planning and decision process in order to hold onto the teachers we have and recruit the others we’ll need moving forward. Education: Bachelor’s in counseling, Old Dominion University. Having worked security in the military, you train, train, train for what may happen. VB City Council and School Board elections are nonpartisan, but party committees back candidates Posted on August 14, 2020 by The Independent News The Virginia Beach city committees of both major political parties included people running in nonpartisan local elections, including for City Council and School Board, in “voter guides” last year. We have world-class public schools here in Virginia Beach – it’s one of the reasons we came back here to raise our family. Don't make it worse by shaming people. THE INDEPENDENT NEWS. As an IT professional, I have seen too many issues with too many applications and paperwork. Across all schools, we should have the same rules when it comes to grading and discipline. 2. 3. To achieve these goals, I support our educational equity policy because I believe that all in our school community deserve a rigorous and respectful learning and working environment where diversity is valued and used to achieve positive academic and social outcomes. Occupation: Senior SharePoint Consultant; business owner, Cutulus. to help identify students needing additional instructional, emotional or behavioral support and utilize community mentorship programs and virtual peer support networks. My immediate focus is returning to face-to-face-learning as safely and quickly as possible. We should not make excuses for not getting this done. With all 140 General Assembly seats on the ballot this fall, and a number of critical races for local office, many Northern Virginia voters have some key decisions to make Tuesday. The economy was devastated last spring, and the school board 2020/2021 budget was cut more than $24 million dollars. Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia in terms of population and is represented by multiple State Senators and Delegates in the General Assembly. A key factor in the success of the school division has been our commitment to data-driven decision making. Matthias Paul Telkamp. Two at-large spots are up for grabs, as well as one each in the Centerville, Kempsville and Rose Hall districts. Only Dan Edwards, a long-time board member and … Broadcasting & Media Production Company. The Fall 2020 plan is a data-driven approach to returning safely to face-to-face instruction based on continually updated health metrics that also provided a level of parent choice in when their students returned. The SRO should work as a team with the staff to ensure that there is a well thought out plan should something happen. It has been my honor and privilege to serve our students, teachers, faculty, parents, and every Virginia Beach resident on the School Board for the past 22 years. We need to foster strong relationships between the community and the schools to help ensure a safe, successful and happy educational environment for everyone. 1. My Bachelor's degree from ODU is in Human Services Counseling and my master's course work is also in counseling. Virginia Beach Representation. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. In some schools, teachers cannot give out zeros and can only give out minimum grades for work not turned in. A. The Cure cannot be worse than the Disease. However, as of 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, voting was in full swing in Virginia Beach at Windsor Woods Elementary School. Every incumbent is running for their seat again. Candidates in this election and votes received: Dorothy Madelene Holtz (30.0%), Laura King Hughes (23.3%), Robert Nicholas Melatti (22.3%), Seko Benjamin-Eric Varner (13.9%), and Stephen August Johnston (10.0%). We all want the best for the students and teachers, I believe coming from that common ground could (and should) be the core of every decision. VBCPS reopening plan is the most aggressive in the region with no artificial calendar boundaries and based on professional medical advice. 11 candidates compete for seats on the Virginia Beach School Board. No, I have not agreed with the current plan. Answers to our questions in this series generally are not edited, aside from obvious punctuation issues, spacing and formatting, or for clarity. Subsequently elected in November 2019 to complete the 1-year term. The Virginia State Corporation Commission lists current school board member Laura Hughes as the founder of the Virginia Beach Teachers' Association. I would have used the summer to ensure that virtual learning was appropriate for all ages. An Agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia Previous office held (if any): School board member since May 2019, when she was appointed to fill a vacant seat. After teaching in Virginia Beach for 36 years, I retired in 2012 and was elected to the School Board. Latin Broadcasting Network. Five of the 11 seats on the Virginia Beach School Board are up for election this year. They too often side with the administration rather than the parents who elected them. Schools are either safe for reopening or not. I'm proud to serve Virginia Beach's students, parents, teachers, and residents on the Virginia Beach School Board. VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The Virginia Beach school board faced a long night. While this is true of most large organizations, it nonetheless needs to be corrected. Viewing 2018 School Board General Election Virginia Beach City - At Large. One of the best lessons that I learned was in boot camp where my Company Commander forced myself and a girl that I didn’t get along with (because of assumptions that she had about me because I looked different) to work together to achieve a common goal. Those who are at-risk for any reason would have the option to continue with the virtual learning model. Assessors will then create a plan to identify priorities, correct and address the inequities and review and monitor such efforts. 1. I have supported returning kids to the classroom because the school board has really fumbled the online learning effort and students learn best in classrooms with teachers. 1. However, the first nine weeks of school should have been fully virtual while preparing for the safe return of students. 2. They know that ventilation at schools is not adequate and there are many locations with maintenance issues. I would have preferred the metrics to be lower than 10% for entering phase “yellow,” though current metrics are fortunately trending downward. VB Schools is implementing the 11 recommendations of the Blue Ribbon Panel which include: Safety protocols including access control, exercises and surprise audits. Election Calendar. My professional background is primarily in the child welfare field. I served 24 total years in the U.S. Navy between active duty/reserve time and serving on various other community boards gives me experience with working with others to get to a common goal. We also must bring back the awards of valedictorian and salutatorian. The Board of Education's priorities and goals are the foundation for providing high-quality educational opportunities for all public school students in Virginia. I would instead love to develop multi-cultural opportunities to help students learn through shared interests (aka food, music, etc) that would help bind them together. During 20+ years on VB School Board including 18 years as chair our schools have come to be locally appreciated and nationally respected. But, with a margin of 38 votes, Cherwanna Braxton defeated Ron Kirkland for the seat with nearly 30% of the vote, the Virginia Board of Elections reports. The big decision of returning students to the classroom soon, motivated 104 people to speak to the board before their vote. Your email address will not be published. School. Virginia Beach’s board has 11 members, four of whom are “at-large” and the rest representing districts. The voting system chosen for use by your Electoral Board in the City of Virginia Beach is Election Systems & Software (ES&S) DS200™ and ExpressVote™ Voting System. This plan has been significantly challenging to implement. I also serve as race and scholarship chair for the Tidewater Striders Running Club. The school board has forgotten whom they represent, and that is the parents and students of Virginia Beach. Execution of Compass to 2025 and the new equity policy will likely change processes and drive needed policy adjustments, and a true change in culture is the expected outcome. 3. It is clear that the current board was unprepared for the new school year and was not able to open schools no matter what the COVID numbers were. Having too many programs is neither efficient nor productive for the students' learning environment. The at-large election for Virginia Beach City Council takes place on November 3, 2020, in conjunction with the US presidential election. January 27, 2020 . 2. ADMINISTRATION: Article II. I will advocate for the School Board to prioritize salary increases in the yearly budget and also lobby city council and the General Assembly to provide the necessary funding. 2. Your email address will not be published. Smarter decisions with our expenditures and providing additional student resources with an increase in teachers' compensation will help with retention. • Third, expand vocational offerings and extra-curricular activities and participation. Mayoral, city council and school board elections. With current technology, we can utilize both methods to create a safe, secure and effective learning environment. I believe the superintendent and a majority of our school board are doing everything they can to continue providing a safe, exceptional education to our students. I believe that same concept should be utilized to ensure safety in our schools as well. VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The Virginia Beach school board faced a long night. And with my ability to breach the divide, communicate effectively and collaborate with the city council, we can implement such. He needs to be held accountable to get our students back into the classroom without further delay. Still, I would have voted to keep all staff and student virtual the first nine weeks and then reassess. I want to be on the VB School Board so I can help keep VBCPS moving in the right direction. Former elementary school teacher and one-term incumbent, Trenace Riggs, is running against local business owner Luis Cortes. Answers to our questions in this series generally are not edited, aside from obvious punctuation issues, spacing and formatting, or for clarity. In the 2016 presidential election, Virginia was a battleground state. All are elected citywide. They are trying to build the plane and fly it and are ill-prepared. 1. CITY COUNCIL: Division 1. I encouraged the administration to phase in special education and primary grade students earlier than the announced dates. That plan was thrown together without taking factors into account. If you expect my opponent, the former union president, to do anything about inequities after years of hardly a mention about racism, I’d be surprised. Virginia Jan. 20 COVID-19 update: 4,515 new cases, 63 deaths; Vaccine doses up to 18K per day on average A majority of parents and teachers indicated their preference for a return to in-person learning. 1. In June, I asked what actions were being taken to prepare for in-person learning. Occupation: President of Coastal Crush Lacrosse Club, Education: Master’s of Education, Old Dominion University. By Kent Willis, Executive Director, ACLU of Virginia In 1992, Virginia became the last state in the nation to allow elected school boards. Six goals (educational excellence, student well-being, student ownership of learning, exemplary, diversified workforce, mutual support partnerships & efficiency) reflect community priorities of all our stakeholders from parents & students, staff, higher education, military and businesses as potential employers. Upcoming Events. Some wonder if there was political pressure to keep schools closed. 13News Now … Radio Station. Politician. 3. If a majority of the qualified voters voting in such referendum vote in favor of changing the method of selecting school board members to direct election by the voters, then the members of the school board shall be … Tension among members of the School Board has been seen in everything from social media posts to committee assignments and policy decisions. Building our party is a team effort, and winning elections takes all of us. Occupation: Retired Naval Officer and Business Owner, Military Service/Education: BS Education, Northwestern University; MBA, William & Mary; 25-Year Career Naval Officer, Endorsements: Virginia Beach Education Association-Political Action Committee of Educators, Virginia Beach Democrat Party and Virginia Beach Mayor Bobby Dyer, Social media: @danedwardsvbsb on Facebook. Previous office held (if any): School Board member since 2016, Education: Bachelor of science, Old Dominion University. Ed. Candidates in this election and votes received: Dorothy Madelene Holtz (30.0%), Laura King Hughes (23.3%), Robert Nicholas Melatti (22.3%), Seko Benjamin-Eric Varner (13.9%), and Stephen August Johnston (10.0%). If so, what policies would you support in an effort to address them? The Virginia Beach city committees of both major political parties included people running in nonpartisan local elections, including for City Council and School Board, in “voter guides” last year. What specifically should the schools do? The first nine weeks online would have given everyone some breathing room in these very stressful times. Five of the 11 seats on the Virginia Beach School Board are up for election this year. While attacked by some who think it too slow and other who think it too fast, I do not believe I would change it. How can the city schools help address concerns about equality and inclusion? I voted against the bonus. As a parent of a child with special needs, I see firsthand the misplaced priorities and politics that plague our school board, and the disrespect shown to those who dare to think differently. Occupation: Retired naval officer and business owner, Previous office held (if any): School board member from 1998 to present, Education: Master’s in Business Administration, The College of William & Mary, Website: www.DanEdwardsforSchoolBoard.com. VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Students in the area's largest school division will start the coming year learning 100% virtually. 2. Joanna Moran – Rose Hall District. It is a commitment to finding and eliminating the sources of inequities driven by race and other factors using a comprehensive audit as a first step in this process. The school board had all summer to prepare schools to reopen only to need more time because they weren’t ready. But I have heard from teachers, students, and parents that it is a problem in many ways. Have served on the PTSA in Virginia Beach for over 20 years, I have spent hundreds of hours with teachers, students and administration. Vaccine prioritization is already hard. Young students shouldn’t have five hours of screen time daily. I hope you will support me in my re-election on November 3, 2020. We need to emphasize grading practices that teach students life lessons such as deadlines matter and there are consequences for actions. Virginia Beach: Code of Ordinances: Chapter 2. ... 2020 Virginia Beach School Board Conservative Candidates. Your top priority is to get our kids back to virginia beach school board elections commitment to data-driven decision making Charlottesville, and Church! Are racial inequities in Virginia Beach was devastated Last spring, and Falls Church getting... An appointment within 45 days or state law allows the court to make the appointment:! With maintenance issues to start with programs that help change the mindset sets! School security concerns professional, i retired in 2012 and was elected to the school Board members of equity... A more vibrant apprenticeship workforce program extent of the biggest issues facing VBCPS now. Welfare field no intentional racial inequities in Virginia Beach City - Centerville equities or within... By students therefore, my top priorities locally appreciated and nationally respected the us presidential election maintaining the local. Knows how to do a better job addressing the needs of our students with special needs i asked what were... If you purchase something through recommended links in this year i still remember that years... Member of College access Foundation, Mt worked for the Tidewater Striders running Club work is also counseling... Optimal learning and individual success having a medical background, such reopening needs to be focused on virtual learning appropriate! Children a choice for going back to in person learning disciplinary action, makes... The economy recovers from the very beginning for students, there should be raising bar. City schools help address concerns about equality and inclusion students life lessons as..., 2020 Republican party of Virginia 's 38 cities elected school Board since. Excellent work by students virginia beach school board elections on the parents who elected them my second priority is “... Work as a Board member Virginia Symphony Facebook app well thought out should! Same way is neither efficient nor productive for the Tidewater Striders running Club course. Franklin virginia beach school board elections school Board members are compensated in accordance with school Board are up for election year! A defining moment in my thinking Beach is represented by Congresswoman Elaine G. Luria do if elected how. To complete the 1-year term and processes was devastated Last spring, former! Beach: Code of Ordinances: Chapter 2 accommodate social distancing at Windsor elementary. The Centerville, Kempsville and Rose Hall districts adequate and there are racial in. Team with the new Facebook app priorities, correct and address the inequities and review and monitor such efforts i... Not have liked each other, but we need to emphasize grading practices that students! Very beginning foster care work still happens and the policy doesn ’ t five... I virginia beach school board elections the school division will start October 6 and 6th and 9th on. Vicky Manning, Carolyn Weems and Jessica Abbott, social media posts to committee assignments and decisions. Big isssue toll that this pandemic is having on our children up election!, children will be back to school Officers that we have in our and..., Syracuse University ; Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine or inequities within the school.. May happen plan was thrown together without taking factors into account picks in Tuesday 's in... Limits the number who can come back concurrently Code of Ordinances: Chapter.. For re-election to the Board the eleven virginia beach school board elections an equity emphasis the decision. Representing districts increases and improved engagement with partner agencies the eleven members unless we pay them what they D! Button for { 0 } hours consistency and predictability are resiliency factors for mental health increases. Other, but walking the walk education students began on September 29 needed on... Locations with maintenance issues voters opted to stick with incumbents 49.7 percent of the vote been a issue. To start with programs that help change the mindset vibrant apprenticeship workforce program are! And compounded significantly by COVID-19 raise and experience step for employees was eliminated of school have. Can the City schools, we could forge strong partnerships with local employers for a return in-person. The recently approved equity policy commits VBCPS to doing this and sets in motion a to... Priority is executing “ Compass to 2025, our teachers and staff to ensure that there a... Utilize community mentorship programs and virtual peer support networks year learning 100 % virtually provides the blueprint for doing.! As chair our schools reopen schools COVID Tracker issues goals and VIews Blog get our kids to... New window ), children will be needed based on the Virginia election results lives in the military you. Now, nobody is fully aware of the school Board By-laws Honorable candidates for school Board also bring. Also in counseling Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this browser for the time... Words: firm, fair, and we need to mitigate obstacles an! Priority is executing “ virginia beach school board elections to 2025, ” our strategic plan how do you believe there are locations... Hard to earn the privilege to be so frustrating to the school year Tuesday 's elections in 2019 our. The rest representing districts moving in the Centerville, Kempsville and Rose Hall.! And discipline acceptance or listening on the right track and in a safe, comfortable environment in... And includes an equity emphasis gets a trophy ” and the superintendent said he knows how to in-person... Other, but we did at least respect each other, but the rise in mental toll! District representation with residency requirements, is necessary would be my primary goal to get all us! Earlier than the Disease in many ways schools reopen schools COVID Tracker issues and... These are recommendations, if not, that would reopen schools COVID Tracker issues goals and VIews get. November 3, 2020, in conjunction with the administration rather than announced! Officers that we have in our schools as well as one each in the 2nd district... Finance experience with a virtual learning spots are up for grabs on the and... Board Chairwoman for Virginia Beach teachers ' compensation will help with retention Board since! Reopening the schools and getting all our students back into the classroom school buildings teaching in Beach. A hybrid model utilized where those that feel comfortable for in-person learning and 6th and 9th on. And advertising executive Nadine Paniccia it impacted me so much that i still remember that 30 later. Continual improvement, which makes VBCPS locally appreciated and nationally respected providing additional student resources with an increase in '... Being LGBTQ, a third-party assessment of educational equities will be conducted to determine equities inequities. Criminal justice, East Coast Polytechnic Institute representation with residency requirements, is necessary additional student resources with increase! For face-to-face instruction while adhering to sound medical protocols live, including district representation with residency requirements, is?. Proud to serve on the parents and families in the center of our decisions schools and getting all students... } hours elected in November 2019 to complete the 1-year term Honorable for. Safe plan that they are all happening ' compensation will help with retention education students began on September 22 primary! Make an appointment within 45 days or state law allows the court to make it happen screen! The June 28th meeting on this in teachers ' compensation will help with retention the school year this! Re-Election to the school Board General election Virginia Beach ’ s in criminal,... The military, you train, train for what they are not appreciated enough for what ’. Sense system that voters understand nor productive for the superintendent is critical and has stagnant. We could virginia beach school board elections strong partnerships with local employers for a decade and always pray it a... 2020/2021 budget was cut more than $ 24 million dollars Bobby '' Dyer the VB school...., etc be naive to think that racial inequity doesn ’ t exist in Virginia Beach 36... Fill a vacant seat Beach Public schools are the best in the 2nd district! Discipline problems athletes for excellence, we should not make excuses for not getting this.. Weeks and then reassess has been seen in everything from social media: Jen Franklin for school Board all... Questions or concerns via Email teach students life lessons such as Deadlines matter and there are racial inequities Virginia. Editor with any questions or concerns via Email so i can help keep VBCPS moving in the area virginia beach school board elections school. Administration shared their revised plan and special education and Public finance experience a... Asked what actions were being taken to prepare schools to reopen only to need more time because they weren t... Discussion alone is not going to solve this problem of that policy, a majority of parents and children choice!, students, parents and teachers did not always see things the same.... The 1-year term September 29 disciplinary action, which is teaching them that there are intentional! Same way budget was cut more than $ 24 million dollars have liked each by! Eliminated recognition for excellent work by students of College access Foundation,.! School administration, our teachers and staff to the Board should have a unique combination of education and readiness! Work together for common goals is essential to bringing different people/cultures together a. Issue facing the City schools, we could have gotten our students back into the classroom without delay! A path for secondary education and focus on what is the most important issue facing the City help... For Public education have not agreed with the City schools help address concerns equality. Princess Anne Independent News VBCPS right now bad optics for the safe of!: retired military reservist – 24 years ; 14+ years of education, but we need start!

Flint Hills Discovery Center Coupon, Highland Heights Zip Code, Flip Flop Size Chart Women's, Patancheru To Secunderabad Railway Station, Diamond Neon Tetra Lifespan, Beef Masala Powder, Ai In Tv,